Thursday, October 6, 2011

Binding Blues

The problem with projects is, they are easy to start but hard to finish.  It is not that the work involved in finishing a project is difficult, no not all.  My problem is that once I have pieced the top of a quilt and quilted it together with the batting and the backing I have no desire to hand stitch the binding down.  Likewise with knitting once the project is off the sticks I have such a sense of accomplishment I don't want to bother weaving in the ends.


This is a major setback for me because unless my friends or my momma are kind enough to bind my quilts or weave in the ends of my knitting, stuff just sits around my house, not quite complete, and I move on to other bigger, better, more exciting projects where I can cut, sew, piece, purl, knit.

In essence these thoughts were floating around my brain yesterday.  I came home from school, with my right hand hurting from all the knitting I have been doing, and decided that sewing was in order for that night, to give my poor hand a break.  So I began to design my own quilt based on a pattern out of American Patchwork and Quilting magazine February 2010 edition.


I was busily buzzing around fabric and making a complete mess of my living room floor when my momma called.  I shared with her my exciting news and can you guess what she said?  She told me I could not start a new project until I finished one of the projects i already had going.  I groaned, and said 'Fiiiiine' and then decided I could ignore her and start the project anyway.


I returned to reveling in my fabric - Circa 1934 by Moda - when my roommate came home.  She asked what I was doing and explained all of my aspirations for the quilt when what do you know, she said I had to finish one of my projects because my mother said so!  Can you believe it?  Now my mother and my roommate are crushing my creative dreams!


I begrudgingly sat down and began to bind the red table runner discussed in a previous post, thinking if I sewed on that just a little I would appease my roommate and be able to move on to bigger and better things.  But then the unthinkable happened.  My roommate found a blog; a very cute blog, and oohed and aahed over it and would not let me see it.  Then the pressure was on; she said I could not look at the blog until the table runner was done!  It is absolute  torture but I am going to finish that table runner today!  Watch me, I will divide and conquer and look at that blog and bask in all of the creative glory that the world wide web has to offer!  I have never been so motivated to sew on binding in my life!

elicity

1 comment:

  1. It must be wonderful having such a motivating mother and roommate! Did you decide on the next project you will start? Or the next project you will finish?

    ReplyDelete